6 Hours - In this intermediate-level course, participants will learn the phases and components of Complete Decongestive Therapy (CDT). The four components of CDT are Manual Lymph Drainage, Compression, Skin Care and Exercise. Included in this course are video sequences demonstrating various manual modalities, to include Manual Lymph Drainage (MLD) techniques and the application of basic padded short-stretch bandaging techniques for the upper and lower extremities. These videos are not intended to fully train participants in techniques known as Complete Decongestive Therapy (CDT), or to treat patients, but only serve as an information and introduction to techniques used in the treatment and management of lymphedema. To perform MLD and bandaging techniques on individuals and patients additional information, such as contraindications, treatment sequences, etc., which is provided in certification courses and seminars, is required.
Upon completion of this course, participants will be able to:
- Define the goals of treatment Phase I and Phase II of Complete Decongestive Therapy (CDT)
- Evaluate when Phase I of CDT ends and Phase II begins
- Define the components of CDT
- Describe the effects of each component of CDT
- Define the principle of the Law of LaPlace and the role of padding in lymphedema management
- Identify the difference in working and resting pressures associated with long-stretch and short-stretch bandages
- Differentiate the different compression classes in lymphedema garments
- Differentiate the additional compression alternatives in addition to short-stretch bandages and compression garments
Participants must click through the entire presentation and at the end of the course, there is an exam that must be completed with a 90% or better. Upon successful completion of the exam, you will be able to print your certificate of completion.
It is also highly recommended that you purchase the textbook "Lymphedema Management: A Comprehensive Guide for Practitioners" to complete this online course. It will greatly increase your understanding of the lymphatic system and much more. This textbook is beneficial for all of our online courses in case you plan to continue your education with us. We offer a special price for our online attendees. To purchase the textbook, click here
and enter Coupon Code OE70 in the payment process. It is recommended that participants read the textbook pages given, then log on to the course portal and click through the entire presentation. Recommended reading will be given in the introduction section of the course.
For questions or to verify various state board CEU approvals, contact us at (800) 863-5935 or (772) 589-3355.
AOTA Approved Provider #4063 - AOTA CEU/Contact Hours-.6 - Category 2
“The assignment of AOTA CEUs does not imply endorsement of specific course content, products, or clinical procedures by AOTA.”